Every Friday night is like Christmas to me when I am training for a marathon. Long run in the morning, get your stuff out, get ready, carb up, and party like a rockstar! pass out.
Long runs are the time to get your gear all broken in, get your fueling figured out, test out your playlist – basically, each long run is a dress rehearsal of sorts for race day. Now that I am well into my current marathon training cycle, I figured I’d go through my favorite gear, clothes, et al. Keep in mind – this seems to be ever changing. When I first started out doing long runs I was all about the hydration pack and a whole bunch of different things. It evolves over time, and it probably still will.
- Shorts: The Speed Short from Lululemon. I put a credit card, my drivers license & $20 in the back pocket, and gels/fuel in the front pockets.
- Tank: Most of the running tanks I love are from Nike or Lululemon, and they aren’t made any more. It is like both those companies change out their styles every 6 months, which I appreciate, but that makes it hard to rebuy what I like! Come on! I did find some similar styles here, here, here & here. The key is for me that it isn’t so tight that I feel exposed or that it rides up, and that it isn’t so loose that a pinned on bib would bounce around. Basically body skimming, if that makes any sense.
- Underoos! Ok – I know this might seem weird, but one of the questions I am asked the most often is what type of underwear I prefer with leggings and running clothes. My favorites are these & these.
- Sports bra – I really hope Lululemon doesn’t stop making their pace perfect bra because it has a pocket on the back for your phone! YESSS. I love not having an armband. Although I did find a really good armband that I liked a lot, it still is nice to not have an extra thing to chaffe or make my arm sweaty. That said, I don’t need a ton of support, so I’m not sure how to rate the bra in that department, but otherwise it is awesome.
- Sunglasses – I have a pair of Nike ones that I got from a running store a while ago, but I know there are now much less expensive options like Knockaround and goodr that do the same thing for less money.
- Hat – My favorite running hats are actually golf hats. They still have the same sweat wicking fabrics, but I like that the bill is usually more shaped. I like the ones I get from race expos. My favorite is one that has my parent’s company logo on it!
- Headband (for when I want to skip the hat)- SparklySoul and Boho Kitty are my favorites. SparklySoul stays in place the BEST. Boho Kitty is fun and cute for race day (and is made by Heidi See, a track athlete for AUS!).
- Road ID – I love having this for emergency contact numbers and blood type. I hope I never have to use it, but it is better to have it than be without!
- WearSafe – This company reached out to me and offered me a free device/subscription for a year. It is pretty cool so far! You sync the little button with your phone and add emergency contacts to it. If you press it, they are notified. I hardly noticed the little button cliped onto my bra strap or tank, and it makes me feel good knowing it is there if I need it.
- Fuel – At the moment I am liking Huma Plus gel and alternating with Clif Shot Bloks (I especially love the margarita flavor).
- Hydration – Lately I have started carrying a water bottle with me. I don’t love doing that because it makes one of my arms kind of tired sometimes, but I like it better than a backpack most days. I will either fill it with water or Nuun.
- Headphones – Jaybirds of course! I love both the X3s and the Freedoms – if you have small ears the Freedoms might be for you, but if you like a smaller battery pack the X3s are a little lighter.
- Socks – I like Stance, Balega and Swiftwick.
- Shoes – I do most my long runs in the Nike Vomero 12, but have done a couple in the Vaporfly 4% to break them in for race day. I promise to do a full review soon, but so far I am loving them.
- Anti-Chaffe lotion, sunscreen and lip balm are also things I try to remember to wear each time.
Currently for breakfast before a long run my favorite is a Thomas’ Light English muffin with peanut butter and chocolate chips – sometimes a banana, and coffee with collagen & 2% milk.
What are your long run favorites?
Go to breakfast?