Road trip!! For work. So not fun. It is a long day of driving, then meetings, to then finally get to the hotel room at 6pm to START answering emails. That said, it was very beneficial for work, but definitely doesn’t make eating healthy and staying active as easy as possible.
I left this guy pretty happy in his sun spot before heading out. I hate leaving him, even for a night. Luckily one of my best girl friends house sat for me so he is a happy camper snuggling with her.
I hate stopping when I’m driving for work – especially since I do so much of it. I just want to get where I’m going and move on with my day. Today that meant driving straight through lunch. I brought lots of snacks to help with that, so I thought I’d share some of my favorites.
- Larabar Bites – these are great because you can eat 4 for 130 calories, or if you just need SOMETHING to tide you over until you get a meal, or want a little something in your stomach pre workout, they are perfect. They are really tasty and I love the option of eating more or less without having to cut a bar in half.
- RX Bars – these are one of my favorites because they travel so well even when it is really hot out. There is nothing worse than melted bar in your purse. Not only can it ruin your purse, but scraping gooey stuff from a wrapper just isn’t satisfying to me in any way. I did a review of all the flavors here.
- WholeMe granola – the lemon chia berry flavor is THE BEST. I put it over berry yogurt and it is super filling and a good protein/carb snack or small meal. I bought it at Whole Foods, but it is also on Amazon.
- Siggi’s yogurt – see above. I love this yogurt for its high protein content and lack of sugar and crap.
- Larabar minis – Larabar has got this whole snack thing figured out. These legit taste like melty peanut butter cookies. I like the minis for the same reasons in #1 – and also I like to have two of the minis in different flavors. There are very few ingredients and that is a big selling point for me.
- Fresh fruit – The best way to eat an apple in the car is to pack it up in a plastic bag with a napkin tucked inside. The napkin helps keep the apple from brushing, you have the paper towel for juice, and then when you are done, you put the core and paper towel in the ziplock bag until you get to a trash can. Then your car doesn’t smell like the bad side of a farmer’s market. Apple core left in your car on a warm day? HELL TO THE NO.
- Jerky – look at sodium content and other “ingredients” that are listed. Perky jerky is a great brand.
- Fizzy drinks – I love Kevitas and Drink Bai. I usually find them at Target or Whole Foods. I tend to not want to drink a ton of water because I don’t want to constantly have to use the restroom when driving, but these help me remember to do it anyway.
- Kind bars – Dark. Chocolate. Sea. Salt. You’re welcome. Also very few ingredients and good healthy fats.
- Almonds – If I am going to bring nuts with me on a road trip, I pre-measure into those snack sized baggies. Driving = mindless eating for me, so if I have a full bag of nuts sitting on the seat next to me, I will just eat and eat and eat for no reason.
- RunGum – I generally use RunGum before workouts. However, it is my secret weapon if I am getting sleepy in the car too. I once read that you physically cannot fall asleep while chewing gum. I’m not really sure I believe that, BUT I do think chewing helps, and of course the caffeine is what does it for me. I don’t have a crash like I would with an energy drink and its not full of sugar and calories and crap that I don’t need. You can find it on Amazon here.
- Wafels – I love these little Stroopwafels. Sometimes I wake up hungry when I am traveling and don’t have any light snacks to eat pre workout. These are very tasty and the perfect little pre workout snack to get something in my stomach.
What are your favorite healthy snacks?
Do you like to snack between meals?