Did I lose you yet? Most people might have turned and ran at the words cauliflower & oats in the same recipe name.
This recipe seems to be pretty popular though, so maybe you’ve heard of it. I have tried zucchini oats in the past. They are pretty good, but I can taste the zucchini too much and it kind of ruins the overall oatmeal effect for me. I like adding the cauliflower to the oats because it gives you so much more volume – it easily doubles the amount of oats. Plus, always a good way to sneak in more veggies.
There are a lot of versions of “cauli-oats” out there, so the recipe certainly isn’t original – my version is just a mishmash of the other recipes I’ve seen that works best for me. This recipe is pretty quick to make, so I like it a lot for an easy dinner.
Tonight I did some volunteering with the girls from my work and my dog, so it was perfect when I came home. Plus it is pouring outside, so I wanted something warm.
- 40 g quick oats
- 180 g steamed cauliflower
- 1 cup cashew milk (to be used 1/2 cup at a time)
- Truvia/Stevia – to taste
- Your choice of protein powder – I used PEScience Snickerdoodle (you can use code EMILY for 30% off)
- Steam the cauliflower – I buy bags of it frozen and put it in a bowl with some water to steam in the microwave for 3 minutes
- Puree the cauliflower with 1/2 cup of cashew milk in a blender
3. Microwave the oats with the other half the cashew milk. If you microwave them one minute at a time, they won’t boil over.
4. Mix the oats & cauliflower puree together with the protein powder and truvia/stevia
Then top with whatever you want! I used a banana, some Splenda brown sugar baking mix & Nuttzo (kyle15 for discount).
The macros are great for one serving. 335 calories & 34P/37C/6F without the toppings. If you try be sure to tag me!
The next time I post – we will be back from Costa Rica!
Happiest of Holidays!