Big thanks to my friend Kindal for tagging me in this recipe because it is a new favorite! (I have had these muffins twice this week already.)
I absolutely love Kim Hoeltje’s recipes! I follow her on Instagram and I love her blog & YouTube channel (here is the link for her video about this recipe). I have made a couple of her other recipes, but this one was the biggest success for me so far. I think my problem with the others I have tried was not having a good food processor, and not using “fluffy” protein powder – which I will talk about more below.
The muffins were really really easy to make and delicious. It is just:
- 28g whatever protein powder you want (I used Quest Peanut Butter). I will say that in the past I have tried using the brand Optimum Nutrition for baking. It is a great protein powder – tastes good to drink alone, clean, and you get a lot for your money. That said – it doesn’t bake as well as Quest, in my opinion. I’ve also been told that PEScience is amazing for baking & I know Kim uses MTS in a lot of her recipes, so I would recommend one of those.
- 4 TBSP (32g) coconut flour – pretty much all grocery stores have this in the baking section or “natural foods” section now days.
- 3 TBSP (46G) egg substitute
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (56g)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (120ml)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 packets sweetener – Kim add’s in her recipe “if desired.” Yes, desired haha. I used 2 packets of Truvia.
Then just bake for 25 mins at 350. I didn’t use silicone baking cups, but just ordered them, because it would have made my life a lot easier lol.
I love that Kim gives grams and milliliters for everything. I put a bowl on my food scale, zeroed it out to get rid of the weight of the bowl, and then measured everything without having to get any measuring utensils dirty (you want to zero out the weight each time you add an ingredient). So much easier!
Kim always gives the macros for her ENTIRE batch. Which is awesome. Who wants to eat one muffin? Plus the macros for ALL SIX muffins are absolutely phenomenal – (w/o toppings) 337 calories, 11F/29C/34P. Please be sure to tag Kim if you make these!
I topped mine with Nuttzo – you can use my code Kyle10 if you want to try some.
Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!