My mom makes the best lasagna. This isn’t nearly as good, but it is pretty good and it is easy on my stomach the night before a long run since most the cheese in nonfat or lower fat. It is also not very hard to make, pretty hard to mess up, and boys like it. HA! But seriously, I used to get so much anxiety cooking for my friends or boyfriend. This is a good one if you ever feel nervous cooking for friends. You can pre-make the night before, throw it in the oven for 45 mins while you have a glass of wine, and done! If all else fails, over serve garlic bread and wine to the point where no one cares what the food tastes like. But, enough life advice.
Ingredients – This is a lot of things to shop for. Screen shot the recipe or write a list so you aren’t running all over the grocery store. Maybe it is not really that many things to shop for. But for someone who lives off of peanut butter, egg whites and spinach, it feels like it.
- 8 oz shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
- 16 oz fat-free ricotta cheese
- 16 oz Daisy Brand Cottage Cheese 2% cottage cheese
- whole wheat lasagna noodles (You do NOT need to buy the precooked noodles for this recipe. The precooked ones almost never come in whole wheat.)
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 54 oz pasta sauce – I like the lower sodium ones with garlic and onions
- onion, mushrooms & spinach – totally optional
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large skillet, cook and stir ground turkey until brown. Add mushrooms and onions; sauté until onions are transparent. Add in spinach last and let it wilt. Stir in pasta sauce, and heat through. You can totally leave out the vegetables if you were like me the last time I made this and accidentally ate them in other food too fast. I got hungry, SUE ME.
- In a medium size bowl, combine cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, and eggs.
- Spread a thin layer of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Layer with uncooked lasagna noodles, cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese, and meat sauce.
- Continue layering until all ingredients are used, reserving 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degree C) oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover, and top with remaining half cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Cut into 8 slices, burn your mouth because you couldn’t actually wait 10 minutes to eat it, and done!
Macros per slice (when cut into 8): cals 462 & 10F/47C/45P