Confession – I pack for everything SO early. Everyone always makes fun of me for it – but I don’t care. I usually do laundry over the weekend, and I always pull out what I want so I don’t have to wash it again mid week before I pack. Or that’s my logic at least.
I am going to head to Folsom for the CIM on Saturday morning. Friday is my most important night of sleep, so it will be nice to have a relaxing evening at home.
Bennie The Dog is going to stay at a very nice boarding place that I have come to love. As much I hate being separated from him, a dark, cold morning at a marathon won’t be fun for him. Both he and I will be less stressed! It took me a long time to find and pick the boarding place out haha! They do a great job and will even send photo updates.
On to packing – As I said, I’m driving, so I can bring as much as I want. Aka – there is no limit and I’m probably bring more than I need. Perks of driving vs. flying ha!
To start – I’m bringing 3 outfit options haha! The weather seems to change from raining to not raining and back again every hour, so I want to be prepared for anything.
- Option 1: shorts, long sleeve shirt, and compression socks.
- Option 2: tights, quarter zip long sleeve
- Option 3: wind breaker/rain jacket if needed
I’m bringing all three and will call the ball on race day.
Here is the rest of the list:
- Throw away fleece & gloves: I got a $7 fleece from Old Navy & have an old pair of mittens that are ready to be donated. I’ll wear these on the bus on the way to the start line.
- Space blanket: insurance in case the fleece isn’t enough. I bought a package of these from Amazon and they are AWESOME for the start lines at races.
- Beet elite & Amino energy for pre race.
- Nuun: I drink this the night before. Watermelon is my favorite flavor.
- Gu, beans & chews: I’m going to have a package of these sport beans at the start line. I’m not a big breakfast eater on race day or long runs, and I have liked these a lot. I’ll still also have a banana or maybe two if I’m super hungry beforehand. Otherwise I am bringing salted caramel Gu, sea salt chocolate Gu, and some chews – same brand. I am going to alternate flavors so I don’t get grossed out by the end of the race.
- Body glide: I honestly use this on my feet more than anything. I coat my toes with it to prevent blood blisters, which I get often.
- Hat: I love to race in a hat. It keeps my braid from coming undone and I think it is flattering in photos HA! Sorry – I want to look cute in my pics. I’m a girl – I can’t help it. Lululemon makes good ones that fit my tiny tiny head. I’m not making fun of myself – I have a total pinhead. The one that I use most often isn’t on their website anymore though.
- Ear warmer: I’m bringing this as an option instead of the hat in the event it is FREEZING. Again – Lulu.
- Armband for phone: I love Armpocket because you can customize the armband for the type of phone, size of case and what other things (keys, ID, ect) you want to put in the armband.
- Flip belt: For all the Gu and Chews.
- Jaybird headphones & charger
- Back up headphones – just in case something is off with the Jaybirds, or an I’m an idiot and forget to charge them.
- Garmin 225 & charger
- Road ID
- Fluffy warm sweats to change into after the race
- Patagonia jacket: SO FLUFFY AND WARM! I will be so happy to put this on after this race.
- I always fill up a backpack and give it to my mom or dad to hold. They are nice enough to be my gear check haha! This is my favorite pack.
- Picky bar and BCAAs for post race recovery will be in the back pack.
I have my Spotify playlist ready to go. I haven’t let myself listen to it for the last 4 weeks so I wouldn’t get sick of any of the songs. You can listen here.
Safe travels to everyone else headed to Folsom this weekend!