Omg it is December 15th. How is it half way over? I don’t know when that happened.
Any who – when I’m not eating, running, or doing both at the same time, I do have a day job haha! I work in insurance and am in a sales type position. I say that because I’m not exactly going door to door selling insurance, but saying sales is probably the easiest way to describe my job. Lots of driving around, talking to people, and networking.
During the holidays, this means LOTS of Holiday Parties. For example, last week I had a party every night from Monday through Thursday.
I’m definitely not trying to complain – but sometimes parties and getting up to run at 4:00 am conflict. It also conflicts with me sleeping and laying around in my sweats hahahaha (#glamorous). Plus, I don’t think fried shrimp counts as a “whole grains” and I’m pretty sure that wine doesn’t count as “fuel.” Which is dumb, but I don’t make the rules.
This is really not a weight loss blog or anything like that – but I know it is really hard to do the healthy eating thing all the time. And there are always people who will give you a hard time you when you are trying to eat well.
“Oh you can have whatever you want!” No, I can’t have a million dollars.
“You must starve yourself to stay skinny!” No, I run a billion miles.
“It’s the holidays, indulge! I made them special!” How about I indulge in new Lululemon instead?
First of all, don’t get offended, Scrooge. It is Christmas/Holidays/Whatever Politically Correct Thing People Say Now and they just want you to party it up with them. Also, they don’t want to feel as bad about indulging themselves.
Here are some things that I do to stay on track:
- Bring something that fits your goals. Some of my favorites: hummus and crackers, veggie tray, or grilled chicken skewers (Trader Joe’s sells these frozen – you can heat them up and put on your own plate)
- Plan to eat snacks before & after the party, and skip the food there
- Eat higher protein and lower fat and carb through out day. Then you have what you are craving in moderation.
- If you don’t want to drink, ask for sparkling water with lime. 90% of the time, people won’t even question it, so no need to feel weird
- If you do drink – really stick with the old having a glass of water for each drink trick
- Get to the party on time and have a plan to leave at a certain time if you know you are getting up early. You can set an alarm on your phone. If anyone gives me a hard time, I just tell them that I am like Cinderella, and turn into a pumpkin after 9pm.
- Workout in the morning, so you don’t want to skip it in the afternoon/evening
- Lay out your gym stuff before you go to the party
- Wear tight pants to the party. Not kidding! It seriously helps you not feel like you want to devour the table of “small bites.”
- Carry your drink in one hand and your clutch in the other. This prevents mindless eating because your hands are busy. As it is, you are really at this party to talk, not eat.
Okay and let’s just say – hypothetically – that you didn’t exactly stick to your plan.
- If you drank too much – drink 14 oz of water with Nuun when you get home & when you wake up. It is lots of electrolytes, and really does help hang overs haha! Not that I know from personal experience or anything.
- If you over ate – just go back to normal the next day. You can’t “make up for it” by restricting calories the next day. Your body craves homeostasis – so just do your normal routine and keep drinking a lot of water throughout the day and it will even BE OKAY.
With love & Holiday Party Survival,