January is almost over! I loved racing the last two weekends in a row, but my legs thanked me that I did not have another race this weekend.
What the week looked like:
- Monday: speedwork! I was pleasantly surprised that this was not as challenging as I thought it was going to be coming off a race. I did one mile warm up at 9:00, then 800M repeats. Each 800M was done in 3:15 with an 800M recovery to follow at an 8:30 pace. Finishing with one mile of cool down at an 8:30 pace for a total of 6 miles at an 8:00 average. I finished with lots of stretching and foam rolling – which Bennie likes to “help” with haha!
- Tuesday: legs & glutes. I tried out doing front squats for the first time & that was fun to switch things up. Since my mileage is not super high right now, I can afford to take more time lifting, and more time for my legs to be sore and then recover.
- Wednesday: tempo run followed by biceps and triceps. I wanted to challenge my pace a little on this and see if could get comfortable speeding up. It ended up being 8 miles at a 7:25 average. The splits were: 1 mile warm up at 8:25, 7:20, 7:19, 7:18, 7:20, 7:17, 7:18, 6:50. It was tough, but doable, which was exciting to me.
- Thursday: 4 miles at 7:50 average, followed by shoulders/chest lift and back/abs lift. I went to San Diego for the weekend, so I knew I wouldn’t have time to do my long run on Saturday – or maybe even run at all. So I pushed the 4 miles to this day and the long run to Friday. That was fine – however, the 4 miles was supposed to be a heart rate assessment. This means run at your goal marathon pace and take your average heart rate. My body was pretty fried after the week of training coming off a race, and my heart rate was higher than I thought it would be – 164 (I talked a little about this in my post from Thursday). After taking some time to think about it though, it makes sense. I just wasn’t really recovered enough to get a good idea.
- Friday: 14 miles at an easy pace (8:24 average). I needed to do this run early, before work on Friday, and it was raining pretty hard – so I opted for the treadmill. Since I was going to be inside and near a restroom – I took the opportunity to try out adding Nuttzo to the banana I normally eat before a long run. I didn’t use any gu or chews during the run and felt just fine. I know people hate the treadmill and think it is horrible. Honestly, I enjoy it. I zone out and listen to music or books on tape.
- Saturday: I did end up being able to go for a run. I wouldn’t normally add mileage that isn’t on my plan. However, being in sunny San Diego and getting to run near the water was great. I just took it easy and covered up my watch and ran by effort. It ended up being about 4 miles at an 8:24 pace. It was a really fun run & I can’t believe I was in shorts during January!
Saturday after I ran, John and I explored San Diego. We went to Coronado and tried out a restaurant called Leroy’s. Since it is San Diego’s restaurant week, we each got an appetizer and entree for $20.
John got their famous Bloody Mary cart which was fun. Basically they let you load up the skewer for the Bloody Mary with as many toppings as you can fit. There were deviled eggs, cheese, salami, olives, peppers, candied bacon! The list goes on ha.
We walked around Balboa Park and spent the evening with his cousin. We got to go to another amazing restaurant for dinner and that was a blast as well.
Sunday morning, we slept in and got an awesome brunch before heading to the airport. I had the “Hi Felicia.” I noticed it on the menu because I liked the name – but it was full of things I love too – egg whites, spinach, guacamole and feta cheese. So delicious.
Back home & ready for the work week tomorrow (or as ready as I’ll ever be)! We got a break from the rain and the weather in San Francisco today was actually really nice.
I can’t finish this post without also mentioning that it is National Peanut Butter day! Don’t forget to eat your peanut butter!
You can use my code:
KYLE-15 for 15% off Nuttzo
JBird25 for 25% of San Franola – which is super good with peanut butter!!
What did you do this weekend? Are you training for anything?